We're calling on SFU to end its investments in fossil fuels.
Investment in the fossil fuel industry is socially irresponsible. There is overwhelming evidence around the danger of burning fossil fuels, and supported by research and public engagement from Simon Fraser University.
A commitment to preventing catastrophic, irreversible climate change requires that most proven fossil fuel reserves stay in the ground. This means that oil, gas, coal and pipeline companies are alarmingly overvalued.
Embark is asking Simon Fraser University to align their investment decisions with climate science and their decision to be a signatory of the Paris Pledge. By launching the Divest SFU campaign, we are urging the University to:
- Immediately freeze all new investment in fossil fuel companies.
- Fully end ownership of these companies within five years.
- Disclose the potential greenhouse gas emissions in SFU’s investments.
If the University does not change its investment strategy, it will find itself with a portfolio of financially worthless fossil fuel assets. This would jeopardize SFU’s academic mission and its research and education on climate change, clean energy, and public health.
We are calling on students, staff, faculty, and alumni to join the Divest SFU campaign and urge SFU to get out of the business of climate change.
- Sign our open letter to the Responsible Investment Committee.
- Sign our petition to the Board of Governors.
- Join SFU350, a club working with Embark on the divestment campaign.
- Endorse the campaign at your club or department.
- Write a letter or op-ed in support of divestment.
- Contact us with another idea.
- Student Societies: Simon Fraser Student Society, Simon Fraser Graduate Student Society, Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group
- SFU 350
- SFU Departments: SFU Urban Studies, SFU School of Resource and Environmental Management
- Departmental Student Associations: Resource and Environmental Management Students’ Union, Environmental Science Students Union, Planning Students Association, Sociology and Anthropology Students’ Union,
- On November 7th, 2013, the SFU Faculty Association “overwhelmingly” voted to develop a fossil free pension fund option.
- Add your campus group or department.
Press and Other Writing
- Amendment to divestment policy "a step backward": Student groups (The Peak)
- Open letter to the Responsible Investment Committee (open letter)
- Embark reacts to SFU's draft Responsible Investment Policy revision (Press release)
- SFU publishes controversial draft revision to Responsible Investment Policy regarding fossil fuel divestment (Press release)
- Contribute to developing SFU's divestment policy (Student blog post & Analysis of draft Responsible Investment Policy revision)
- SFU Must Reconsider its Unburnable Carbon Investments (Alumni Blog Post)
- Why I’m Calling on SFU to go Fossil Free (Student Blog Post)
- SFU is too invested in fossil fuel companies (The Peak)
- Students urge SFU to divest from fossil fuels (The Peak)
- SSFU Executive Director speaks to Vancouver’s Council (Audio & Transcript)
- Students Across Canada Join International Divestment Movement (National Press Release)
Research and Reports
- Canada’s Carbon Liability Report (Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives)
- Unburnable carbon 2013: Wasted capital and stranded assets (Carbon Tracker)
- Stranded assets and the fossil fuel divestment campaign: what does divestment mean for the valuation of fossil fuel assets? (Oxford Stranded Assets Programme)
- Divestment Issue Brief (SSFU Research Assistant Nelly Bouevitch)